Skip to main content

Travel instructions for NCSU employees and students

The guidelines listed below must be followed to ensure you will be reimbursed for travel expenses you incur.

Pre-approvals are needed before you book any lodging other than a standard hotel. This includes: Bed and Breakfast, Condo, house, apartment, etc. Please submit the Third Party Lodging Form. (PDF) If you have any questions or need additional assistance, please contact Ashley Dyer.

Traveler must create a Travel Authorization prior to travel. Please follow the steps below to reach the Travel Authorization Form:

  • Go to MyPackPortal → Sign In → Main Menu → Financial Systems→ Travel → Travel Center → Travel Center (Auth/Reimburse)
  • In order to help cut down on out of pocket expenses, please speak to your PI before you purchase your airfare or lodging. This can be done using the PI’s Procurement Card or one from the main office.

WHILE traveling, remember to

  • Collect receipts for ALL expenses (except meals) for which you wish to be reimbursed. Hotel receipts should say “balance $0.00” or say PAID. All other receipts should also show that the amount charged has been paid. Most vendors list the last four of the credit card that was paid.
  • Meals are reimbursed on a per diem rate based on the times and location of travel.

In State Travel

  • Breakfast $9.00
  • Lunch $11.80
  • Dinner $20.50

Out of State/Country Travel

  • Breakfast $9.00
  • Lunch $11.80
  • Dinner $23.50


AFTER your trip you must promptly turn in the Employee Reimbursement Request(PDF) with all of your receipts to the main office. This form speeds up the process and helps to eliminate questions while entering per diem amounts. Meals should be written in as the total amount needed.

Please do not submit/create reimbursements on your own in MyPack Portal.

  • Please provide all receipt documentation on single sided paper only
  • You only have 30 days after the end date of your travel to submit forms for reimbursement. After 30 days you forfeit your right to be reimbursed. The University is enforcing this rule so please bring me your receipts as soon as possible.
  • If you do not have a receipt for an expense, you cannot be reimbursed.