Discover what makes our department stand out.
By the Numbers
- 59 faculty
- 123 graduate students
- 180 undergraduate students
- 4:1 faculty-to-major ratio
- 41 research groups
Facts and Highlights
- We are housed in Riddick Hall on Central Campus and in the Partners III building on Centennial Campus, utilizing additional nearby laboratories on campus and throughout the Triangle.
- Our faculty, staff and students are engaged in forefront research in astrophysics, nuclear physics, condensed matter physics, biophysics, atomic/molecular/optical physics and physics education research.
- Our research is supported by an annual budget of $6.4 million in external funds, primarily from federal agencies such as NSF, DOE, NASA and NIH.
- We are the 30th-largest physics instructional program (out of 751) in the U.S.
- Our excellent faculty are members of the National Academy of Science, fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and American Physical Society and winners of prestigious awards from the National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, National Institutes of Health and Office of Naval Research.