Professor Young received his PhD in 1990 from Harvard University in experimental atomic physics. He spent 1990 to 1992 at the California Institute of Technology as a research associate in Felix Boehm’s group, and then moved to Princeton where he stayed for the next eight years, first as a research associate, then as a lecturer, and finally as an assistant professor from 1996 to 2000. He joined NC State University in 2000 as assistant professor. He was promoted to associate professor in 2001 and professor in 2005.
Area(s) of Expertise
He developed several different methods for optically orienting nuclei and participated in a variety of atomic, nuclear and particle physics experiments, typically to test some aspect of the standard electroweak theory of particle physics. He helped develop a prototype solid deuterium source of ultracold neutrons at Los Alamos that became the basis for a similar project at the PULSTAR reactor on the NC State University campus. He is a member of the American Physical Society.
- BRAND—A detection system for β-decay correlation measurement , Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment (2023)
- Design of an optimized nested-mirror neutron reflector for a NNBAR , NUCLEAR INSTRUMENTS & METHODS IN PHYSICS RESEARCH SECTION A-ACCELERATORS SPECTROMETERS DETECTORS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT (2023)
- First Observation of Cyclotron Radiation from MeV-Scale e following Nuclear β Decay , Physical Review Letters (2023)
- Particle physics at the European Spallation Source , PHYSICS REPORTS-REVIEW SECTION OF PHYSICS LETTERS (2023)
- Precision pulse shape simulation for proton detection at the Nab experiment , PHYSICAL REVIEW C (2023)
- Search for beyond standard model physics in free neutron decay , 28TH INTERNATIONAL NUCLEAR PHYSICS CONFERENCE, INPC 2022 (2023)
- A Search for Neutron to Mirror Neutron Oscillation Using Neutron Electric Dipole Moment Measurements , SYMMETRY-BASEL (2022)
- Angular Correlation Measurements in Neutrons and Nuclei: the Search for BSM Physics , INT20r-2b, Beyond-the-Standard-Model Physics with Nucelons and Nuclei (2022)
- Beta Decay with Ultracold Neutrons , Workshop on Very Cold and Ultra Cold Neutron Sources for ESS (2022)
- Fill and dump measurement of the neutron lifetime using an asymmetric magneto-gravitational trap , PHYSICAL REVIEW C (2022)