Professor Young received his PhD in 1990 from Harvard University in experimental atomic physics. He spent 1990 to 1992 at the California Institute of Technology as a research associate in Felix Boehm’s group, and then moved to Princeton where he stayed for the next eight years, first as a research associate, then as a lecturer, and finally as an assistant professor from 1996 to 2000. He joined NC State University in 2000 as assistant professor. He was promoted to associate professor in 2001 and professor in 2005.
Area(s) of Expertise
He developed several different methods for optically orienting nuclei and participated in a variety of atomic, nuclear and particle physics experiments, typically to test some aspect of the standard electroweak theory of particle physics. He helped develop a prototype solid deuterium source of ultracold neutrons at Los Alamos that became the basis for a similar project at the PULSTAR reactor on the NC State University campus. He is a member of the American Physical Society.
- Incoherent approximation for neutron up-scattering cross sections and its corrections for slow neutrons and low crystal temperatures , PHYSICAL REVIEW C (2021)
- New high-sensitivity searches for neutrons converting into antineutrons and/or sterile neutrons at the HIBEAM/NNBAR experiment at the European Spallation Source , JOURNAL OF PHYSICS G-NUCLEAR AND PARTICLE PHYSICS (2021)
- Pendellosung interferometry probes the neutron charge radius, lattice dynamics, and fifth forces , SCIENCE (2021)
- Projection imaging with ultracold neutrons , NUCLEAR INSTRUMENTS & METHODS IN PHYSICS RESEARCH SECTION A-ACCELERATORS SPECTROMETERS DETECTORS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT (2021)
- Ultracold neutron properties of the Eljen-299-02D deuterated scintillator , REVIEW OF SCIENTIFIC INSTRUMENTS (2021)
- A next-generation inverse-geometry spallation-driven ultracold neutron source , JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS (2019)
- Measurement and alleviation of subsurface damage in a thick-crystal neutron interferometer , ACTA CRYSTALLOGRAPHICA A-FOUNDATION AND ADVANCES (2019)
- Using Nab to determine correlations in unpolarized neutron decay , Hyperfine Interactions (2019)
- Increased interference fringe visibility from the post-fabrication heat treatment of a perfect crystal silicon neutron interferometer , Review of Scientific Instruments (2018)
- Measurement of the neutron lifetime using a magneto-gravitational trap and in situ detection , Science (2018)