Chris Gould is an Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor of Physics Emeritus. He taught at NC State for 45 years and previously served a decade as Head of the Department. Later appointments included seven years as Associate Dean in the College of Sciences and a year as Interim Head of Biological Sciences. Following retirement in 2016, he took a two-year IPA position with the Office of Science, US Department of Energy, serving as program manager for the nuclear structure and nuclear astrophysics programs in the Office of Nuclear Physics.
He is a nuclear physicist by training, with interests in cosmology, energy research and policy, science education, and neutron and neutrino physics. He has a PhD degree from the University of Pennsylvania (1969) and a BSc from Imperial College, London (1965). He has held visiting appointments at Los Alamos National Laboratory; the Institut fur Kernphysik, Frankfurt; the Atomic Energy Institute, Beijing; the University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran; and the Oak Ridge Center for Advanced Studies.
He is a Fellow of the American Physical Society; co-recipient of 2008 Presidential award from RTI-International “For outstanding contributions as an integral member of the Research Triangle Energy Consortium operating Committee“; and as a member of the KamLAND collaboration, recipient of the 2016 Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics “For the fundamental discovery and exploration of neutrino oscillations, revealing a new frontier beyond, and possibly far beyond, the standard model of particle physics”.
His current interests focus on energy issues and the role that nuclear reactors may play in backing up intermittency concerns associated with solar and wind electrical power generation: “Carbon Free Power – the role of small modular reactors” V. Rao, C. Gould. Carbon-free power | RTI
- Fermi's favorite figure: the history of the pseudopotential concept in atomic physics and neutron physics , EUROPEAN PHYSICAL JOURNAL H (2022)
- A new cryogenic apparatus to search for the neutron electric dipole moment , JOURNAL OF INSTRUMENTATION (2019)
- Lewis Worth Seagondollar obituary , Physics Today (2014)
- Nuclear data and the Oklo natural nuclear reactors , Nuclear Data Sheets (2014)
- Oklo reactors and implications for nuclear science , International Journal of Modern Physics. E, Nuclear Physics (2014)
- La-138/139 isotopic data and neutron fluences for Oklo RZ10 reactor , Physical Review. C, Nuclear Physics (2012)
- Lu-176/Lu-175 thermometry for the Oklo natural reactors: A new examination of old data , Physical Review. C, Nuclear Physics (2012)
- gamma-ray fluxes in Oklo natural reactors , Physical Review. C, Nuclear Physics (2012)
- Reanalysis of recent neutron diffusion and transmission measurements in nuclear graphite , Nuclear Science and Engineering (2010)
- Measurement of the relative longitudinal spin-dependent total cross-section difference in (n)over-right-arrow-(d)over-right-arrow scattering , Physical Review. C, Nuclear Physics (2006)