Professor Kelley received his PhD in 1995 from Michigan State University after spending five years conducting research at the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory, which is on campus at MSU. In 1995-1996 he was supported by the French Minister of Foreign Affaires for a Sejour Scientific de Long Duree at the Institut de Physique Nucléaire Orsay in France while performing research at the Grand Accelerateur National d Ions Lourds (GANIL). In late 1996 he became a Research Associate at the Triangle Universities Nuclear Laboratory, and in 2000 he joined the North Carolina State University Faculty.
Area(s) of Expertise
He performed his early experimental research using Rare Isotope beams available
at the NSCL, studying the spatial extent of nuclear halos in 8B and 11Be.
John became involved with the US Nuclear Data Evaluation Program in connection with TUNL's data
evaluation efforts, and his group is responsible for producing evaluations of level
information in the "Energy Levels of Light Nuclei: A=3-20" series.
- New energy for the 133-keV resonance in the Na-23(p, gamma) Mg-24 reaction and its impact on nucleosynthesis in globular clusters , PHYSICAL REVIEW C (2021)
- International network of nuclear structure and decay data evaluators , ND 2019: INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON NUCLEAR DATA FOR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (2020)
- Astrophysical relevance of the low-energy dipole strength of Pb-206 , 16TH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON CAPTURE GAMMA-RAY SPECTROSCOPY AND RELATED TOPICS (CGS16) (2018)
- Energy evolution of the fission-product yields from neutron-induced fission of U-235, U-238, and PU-239: an unexpected observation , Fission and Properties of Neutron-Rich Nuclei (2018)
- Excited states of Ca-39 and their significance in nova nucleosynthesis , PHYSICAL REVIEW C (2018)
- Capture cross sections on unstable nuclei , Nd 2016: international conference on nuclear data for science and technology (2017)
- Capture cross sections on unstable nuclei , EPJ Web of Conferences (2017)
- Energy levels of light nuclei A=12 , NUCLEAR PHYSICS A (2017)
- Pygmy and core polarization dipole modes in 206 Pb: Connecting nuclear structure to stellar nucleosynthesis , Physics Letters B (2017)
- Dipole response of the odd-proton nucleus 205Tl up to the neutron-separation energy , Journal of Physics G: Nuclear and Particle Physics (2016)