Professor Chung got his BS degree in 1961 from National Taiwan University, Republic of China. After one year of military service, he came to the United States to pursue graduate study in physics. He attended the State University of New York at Buffalo and obtained his PhD degree in physics in May 1966. He taught two years in the Department of Physics, State University of New York, College at Fredonia. Thereafter, he went to University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, for post doctoral research as an assistant research physicist for two years. He joined NC State University in 1970 as an assistant professor.
Area(s) of Expertise
He specialized in the field of theoretical atomic physics, studied the property of atoms and its interaction with external electric and magnetic fields. He has developed methods for high precision prediction of atomic property, collaborated closely with many experimental physicists around the world. His work was instrumental in the understanding of many high resolution spectra obtained in the experiments.
Many of the theoretical methods he developed in atomic physics are quite unique and powerful. Because of these achievements, he was elected a fellow in the American Physical Society in 1987. In his fellowship citation, it stated "for development of extremely incisive method of calculation … Foremost among these methods is a holeprojection technique."
- Resonances in atomic photoionization , RADIATION PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY (2004)
- Excitation of triply excited Be+ (2lnl ' n ' l '') states in 300 and 500 keV-Be++CH4 collisions , NUCLEAR INSTRUMENTS & METHODS IN PHYSICS RESEARCH SECTION B-BEAM INTERACTIONS WITH MATERIALS AND ATOMS (2003)
- Auger width and branching ratios for berylliumlike 1s2s(2)np P-1(0) and 1s2p(3 1)P(0) resonances and photoionization of beryllium from 1s(2)2s2 S-1 , PHYSICAL REVIEW A (2002)
- 3l3l ' 3l '' states of He- - art. no. 052503 , Physical Review. A (2001)
- Anger width and branching ratios for Be-like 1s2s(2)2p P-3(0) and 1s2s2p(2) S-3,P-3,D-3 resonances and photoionization of Be from 1s(2)2s2p P-3(0) , PHYSICAL REVIEW A (2001)
- Atomic system under synchrotron and laser radiation , Nuclear Physics. A (2001)
- Auger branching ratios for berylliumlike 1s2s2p(2) S-1,P-1,D-1 resonances and photoionization of beryllium from 1s(2) 2s2p P-1(o) , PHYSICAL REVIEW A (2001)
- Electric-field effects on He ground-state photoionization , JOURNAL OF PHYSICS B-ATOMIC MOLECULAR AND OPTICAL PHYSICS (2001)
- L-2 K-matrix method for triply excited lithium - art. no.020702 , Physical Review. A (2001)
- Photoionization of lithium 1s(2)2s and 1s(2)2p near the triply excited resonances , PHYSICAL REVIEW A (2001)