Professor Clarke received her PhD in physics from the University of Oregon in December 1998. She had a brief postdoctoral position with Dartmouth College and then was a research assistant from 1999 to 2003 at the University of Colorado. She joined the NC State University physics department as an assistant professor in August of 2003.
Area(s) of Expertise
Her work focuses on sensitive electrical and optical measurements of nanostructured materials. In particular, she is interested in observing low energy molecular motion within self assembled monolayers and polymers, including two-dimensional phase transitions within monolayer films. Another portion of her laboratory studies conductance through nanocomposite systems formed by mixing conducting and insulating materials.
- Enhancing ionic conductivity in polymer melts results in smaller diameter electrospun fibers , APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS (2023)
- Tracking the complete degradation lifecycle of poly(ethyl cyanoacrylate): From induced photoluminescence to nitrogen-doped nano-graphene precursor residue , POLYMER DEGRADATION AND STABILITY (2022)
- Increasing ionic conductivity within thermoplastics via commercial additives results in a dramatic decrease in fiber diameter from melt electrospinning , SOFT MATTER (2021)
- Nanoparticle-based photothermal heating to drive chemical reactions within a solid: using inhomogeneous polymer degradation to manipulate mechanical properties and segregate carbonaceous by-products , Nanoscale (2020)
- Photothermally-driven thermo-oxidative degradation of low density polyethylene: heterogeneous heating plus a complex reaction leads to homogeneous chemistry , Nanotechnology (2019)
- Facile measurement of surface heat loss from polymer thin films via fluorescence thermometry , JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART B-POLYMER PHYSICS (2018)
- In situcuring of liquid epoxy via gold-nanoparticle mediated photothermal heating , Nanotechnology (2017)
- Nanoscale steady-state temperature gradients within polymer nanocomposites undergoing continuous-wave photothermal heating from gold nanorods , NANOSCALE (2017)
- Effect of Constrained Annealing on the Mechanical Properties of Electrospun Poly(ethylene oxide) Webs Containing Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes , JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART B-POLYMER PHYSICS (2016)
- Enhanced Crystallinity of Polymer Nanofibers without Loss of Nanofibrous Morphology via Heterogeneous Photothermal Annealing , MACROMOLECULES (2016)