Professor Chabay received her PhD from the University of Illinois in 1975 and joined the NC State Department of Physics in 2002.
Area(s) of Expertise
Her research at NC State has been in physics education. She has authored, along with Bruce Sherwood, the textbook Matter & Interactions, which presents a restructured approach to the teaching of the first course in university physics, in addition to numerous research papers.
- Matter & interactions (4th ed.) , (2015)
- How do students in an innovative principle-based mechanics course understand energy concepts? , JOURNAL OF RESEARCH IN SCIENCE TEACHING (2013)
- Matter & interactions (3rd. Ed.) , (2011)
- Labs for the Matter & Interactions curriculum , AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICS (2010)
- Tale of two curricula: The performance of 2000 students in introductory electromagnetism , PHYSICAL REVIEW SPECIAL TOPICS-PHYSICS EDUCATION RESEARCH (2009)
- Computational physics in the introductory calculus-based course , AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICS (2008)
- Evaluating an electricity and magnetism assessment tool: Brief electricity and magnetism assessment , Physical Review Special Topics - Physics Education Research (2006)
- Restructuring the introductory electricity and magnetism course , AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICS (2006)
- Modern mechanics , AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICS (2004)
- Matter & interactions , (2002)